Multiple links from serviceextinfo to graphs?

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Mon Nov 21 20:38:20 CET 2005

In message <2b36e660511210807p5e685362p4dde7782e74b3574 at mail.gmail.com>,
"Ben O'Hara" writes:

>On 11/21/05, Max wrote:
>> I have mrtg setup on my Nagios box to link to whatever graph I want
>> specified in my serviceextinfo.cfg. I looked at the documentation but
>> couldn't find the answer to my question.
>>
>> I'm thinking it's not possible, but I figured I would ask anyways. First
>> an example of my serviceextinfo.cfg:
>>
>> define serviceextinfo{
>>          host_name               my-host-example
>>          service_description     DISKS
>>          notes_url               http://link-to-my-graph
>>          icon_image              graph.gif
>>          icon_image_alt          View graphs
>>          }
>>
>> Can I specify more than one pointer from within a container? For
>> example, I have disks being monitored and I have say three graphs being
>> generated from my mrtg configurations. With the current setup however I
>> can only make a direct link to one of those graphs with only one little
>> image showing up under that particular service. I would like to be able
>> to show three images on the service DISKS with a link to each
>> corresponding graph?
>Not sure if this is possible, but it would be a nice addition.  Id
>like to link to graphs and documentation.  Addng a serviceextinfo
>definition for the service linking it to a wiki page seems a nice easy
>way to achieve although you can obviously create only one link per
>service.

In Nagios 2.0 you also have an action_url as well as notes_url. I link
to a twiki page for the URL and uses passed in parameters
(http://host/twiki/bin/view/ServicePing?host=...) to customize the
offered links.

I use a generic template to define all the links:

  # generic serviceextinfo entry template
  define serviceextinfo {
	register	0
	name		generic-service
	notes_url	https://host.com/twiki/bin/view/Systems/NagSvc$SERVICEDESC$
	action_url      https://host.com/twiki/bin/view/Systems/NagSvc$SERVICEDESC$?host=$HOSTNAME$&service=$SERVICEDESC$&state=$SERVICESTATE$&output=$SERVICEOUTPUT$
	}

and the wiki page provides links to cactii graphs, create a trouble
tickets etc. Note SERVICEDESC and SERVICESTATE don't actually expand
sadly.  Works well and allows other searches/actions to be only 2
clicks away.

IMO the current mechanism doesn't scale well. Too much screen space is
needed to provide a link to all the possible things you may want to
link to. Would be nicer to have the ability to bind a menu (e.g.
dropdown/select box) of items/links into the service information page.

However using a wiki as an index of links is nice in that it can link
to system information and tickets associated with the hosts and
services. We will be including troubleshooting info in the wiki as
well to make it easier to respond to problems.

				-- rouilj

John Rouillard
System Administrator
Renesys Corporation