unrecoverable errors during non notification_periods

David G. Schlecht dschlecht at doit.nv.gov
Mon Nov 21 17:25:52 CET 2005

Hi All,

I am having recurring problems with notifications not being sent when a service doesn't recover from a scheduled downtime.

I'm using notification_periods to prevent notifications from going out during a host's nightly http service restart. However, if the service never restarts, Nagios doesn't send notifications at the start of the enabled notification period.

notification_period is: 00:00-03:00,03:30-24:00
If the service goes down at 03:15 and never recovers, Nagios doesn't notify.

I understand from the docs that:
Note: If the time period filter is not passed, Nagios will reschedule the next notification for the host or service (if its in a non-OK state) for the next valid time present in the time period. This helps ensure that contacts are notified of problems as soon as possible when the next valid time in time period arrives.

This is not the way it appears to be working.

Has anyone else encountered this or is this a problem with my configuration?

I'm using Nagios 2.0b4 on a SUSE Enterprise box. However, we had the same problems when using v1.2.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

- David