Basic Problem With Configuration

Ian Stirling nagios at redsquirrel.me.uk
Sun Nov 13 01:07:44 CET 2005

Hi

I am new to Nagios and have hit a problem before I have really got
started with Nagios.

The first problem I had was that ./configure was unable to identify
my host.  I got past this by downloading a new config.guess and config.sub

However now when I try to configure the package I get another error as follows

checking host system type... powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

The contents of config.log are as follows

This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:606: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:667: checking host system type
configure:691: checking for gcc
configure:804: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
configure:820: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
/usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:

#line 815 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}

I cannot find anything on my system called conftest* but I get the
following for crt1.o

 > locate crt1.o
/usr/lib64/Scrt1.o
/usr/lib64/gcrt1.o
/usr/lib64/Mcrt1.o
/usr/lib64/crt1.o

The system I am running this on is an IBM p570 LPAR running RHEL 4 AS

I'd be grateful for any suggestions on how to get Nagios configured.

TIA

Ian