Please tell me a sane way to comment out hosts/services

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Nov 11 21:42:56 CET 2005

Perhaps a broader explanation for why you are doing so might lead to
more a useful response but if you are not wanting to monitor a host and
it's services any longer or for a long period of time you're probably
doing it the most efficient way just using text files to manage your
configuration.

If it's for temporary maintenance, using the GUI to Schedule Downtime,
Disable Checks of the Host or Service or even Disable Notifications is
appropriate and quick. Click on the host or service name and look in
Host/Service Commands. There are even external commands you can use to
perform these actions from a script.

We use a custom host/service management app where we just mark the
device as not-monitored in a database from which the config files are
generated. There are many ways to make the config management process
more efficient if you're motivated.

--
Marc