nagios client for security/asset mgmt..

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Nov 7 21:55:43 CET 2005

You're both right. With proper shell scripting, Nagios can use just
about any external application to determine status but that status must
be something that can be boiled down to a single OK/WARNING/CRITICAL
data point with a single line of human readable output. In your specific
scenario, nagios would only be useful to determine if one of your
metrics (hardware, software, ports, etc) changed from a known good
value, not for cataloging systems.

Bruce, you might want to read over the Developer Guidelines at
http://nagiosplug.sf.net to get a better idea of what nagios is going to
be expecting from your client application.

--
Marc

Eng