nrpe ver. 2 on AIX 5.2

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Nov 5 16:11:39 CET 2005

Rudy Montemayor wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have Nagios and nrpe running on both HP and Sun systems; however I can
> not get the nrpe daemon on AIX to work at all. Here is a little info on
> what I'm using:
>

> AIX oslevel 5.2.0.0
>
> NRPE Version: 2.0b5
>

> On AIX system:
>
> netstat -a | grep 5666
>
> tcp4       0      0  *.5666                 *.*
> LISTEN
>

> When I try the check_nrpe from my HP system where I have Nagios running
> to the AIX system I get the following:
>
> CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes from daemon.  Check the remote server logs
> for error messages.

This piece of cut'n paste text should have been followed by

"Here's the 'grep nrpe syslog-file' output"

but, strangely enough, it isn't.

> I have nrpe ruuning as a standalone daemon on the AIX system:
>
> ps -ef | grep nrpe
>
>      www 258078      1   0 10:39:44      -  0:00
> /usr/local/nagios/nrpe-2.0/bin/nrpe.old -c
> /usr/local/nagios/nrpe-2.0/nrpe.cfg -d
>

> Any help to get this going would be appreciated.

The message from check_nrpe is fairly obvious. Don't ask questions to a
free support forum without at least trying for half a minute of to fix
the problem yourself. This particular one requires the brain-capacity of
a five-year old, so I'll just let you try until you figure it out. It'll
do you good as an exercise.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se