how to notify via sms

Holger Weiss holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Fri Nov 4 15:11:21 CET 2005

* Nelson Serafica <ntserafica at yahoo.com> [2005-11-04 05:43]:
> Just would like to ask to those nagios expert how can
> i use SMS? i been using nagios for 4 weeks now and
> just found out that it can notify me via sms. How can
> i do this? What is the apps i need?

| There are two ways you can do this.
|
| If your paging company has an email-pager gateway, you can simply have
| Nagios send an email message to your pager address. An example of this
| type of address might look like: pageme at somepagingcompany.com.
|
| You should note that sending notifications through email might fail if
| SMTP or DNS services are down or if your connection to the greater
| Internet is down. An alternative to sending pager messages through an
| email gateway would be to hook a modem up to your monitoring host and
| have Nagios dial out through the modem and send the message using the
| TAP (IXO) protocol. There are several programs that can do this for you
| on *NIX systems. Two popular ones seem to be Sendpage and QuickPage.

[ http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=113 ]

See also:

	http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/notifications.html

Here are some links to these and other packages:

	http://www.sendpage.org/
	http://qpage.org/
	http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/beepage/
	http://smash.sourceforge.net/
	http://www.smsclient.org/
	http://www.sta.to/ftp/yaps/
	http://www.hylafax.org/

We use Sendpage.

Holger

--
PGP fingerprint:  F1F0 9071 8084 A426 DD59  9839 59D3 F3A1 B8B5 D3DE