how to notify via sms

Ian Marlier ian.marlier at studentuniverse.com
Fri Nov 4 15:14:29 CET 2005

> From: Nelson Serafica <ntserafica at yahoo.com>
> Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 05:43:08 -0800 (PST)
> To: <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Nagios-users] how to notify via sms
>
> Just would like to ask to those nagios expert how can
> i use SMS? i been using nagios for 4 weeks now and
> just found out that it can notify me via sms. How can
> i do this? What is the apps i need?

I'm quite certain there are other ways to do this, but most (all?) US cell
providers have an e-mail domain to which you can send SMS messages as a
standard plain-text e-mail.  Not sure about non-US carriers, but I'd be
surprised if it weren't pretty standard.

In my case, SMS pages go to TwoWay.xxxxxxxxxx at messaging.nextel.com -- xxx
etc being the phone number.  They end up on my phone that way.

For US providers, at least, you can also use TeleFlip -- they can send a
notification to basically any US cell phone.