Acknowledging a page by phone

Jeff Williams jeffwilliams05 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 00:32:17 CET 2005

On 11/2/05, Russell Adams <RLAdams at adamsinfoserv.com> wrote:
> With a simple voice mail capable modem, and a copy of VOCP, you could
> implement that.
>
> VOCP has support for voice mail type menu systems that can run command
> lines.
>
> Perhaps you could create a shell script and take input from VOCP?
>
> I'd like to know what your final solution is.
>
> Russell
>
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 04:14:13PM -0500, Roy Kidder wrote:
> > This may be too much effort for what you're looking to accomplish, but you
> > can build an IVR to assist with this. You can get a Digium X100P clone
> > card (single inbound phone line capability) for as little as $10 on ebay
> > and couple it together with Asterisk.
> >
> > http://www.asterisk.org/
> >
> > I haven't done this myself, but I did look at Asterisk at one point.
> > Setting it up to handle inbound phone calls and capture DTMF digits is all
> > done through a scripting language.
> >

> > Jeff Williams wrote:
> > > Is anyone acknowledging pages from their phone that can lend some
> > assistance? Currently we are using spatch/bb and are migrating to
> > Nagios. Spatch sends out a unique id number for each page, so we can
> > send an email to the Nagios box with the id number in a message by
> > itself. With the help of a script we have written that checks the
> > mailbox every so often, we can take that id number and acknowledge the
> > page. Nagios doesn't seem to have unique ids for notifications. Are
> > there any plugins or scripts available that can offer this
> > > functionality? Hope this makes sense...
> > >
> > > Jeff Williams

> > > ::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when
> > reporting any issue.
> > > ::: Messages without supporting info will risk being sent to /dev/null

> > ::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when reporting any issue.

> Russell Adams                            RLAdams at AdamsInfoServ.com
>
> PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/
>
> Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3

It's sounding to me like piping the notifications to a script that
generates a unique id and puts necessary info in a database is the
best idea. That would probably be the easiest and least expensive way
to achieve what I want to do. Another script can poll the mailbox and
parse the id and then write to the command file with the corresponding
hostname and service. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jeff