DNS WARNING - nslookup returned error status

Jason Byrns jason-sourceforge at microlnk.net
Tue Nov 1 20:50:48 CET 2005

lists wrote:
> I just had a go at your suggestion, and it seems to not be the case for my install. I
> recompiled the plugins and installed them. In the "make check" portion - everything
> seems to be fine. I am wondering if it is my DNS configuration. I know my servers are in
> fact up, and one of them is a non-recursive resolver - however I just have it checking a
> domain it has authority for. And this issue is happening with all my DNS servers (some
> of which are recursive resolvers) - so I do not think it is that.
>
> Any other pointers?

What are the exact specs of this server?  (As in: Who makes the OS, and
what version?  What version of the kernel?  What version of Nagios and
the plugins?)

What is the exact command syntax you use when checking DNS?  Have you
tried running it manually from the command line?  If so, what were the
results?

Does the DNS check fail every time?  My situation was intermittent
failure -- sometimes the check worked, sometimes not.  This was all
specific to a bug in Redhat Enterprise Linux 4.  (I use the free RHEL
clone, CentOS)

Generally, the more details you can provide, the better.  Also, I
recommend sending your replies back to the Nagios list, and not just to
me directly.  (I replied to the list to share the info with others.)

--
Jason Byrns
Production Manager