DNS WARNING - nslookup returned error status

Jason Byrns jason-sourceforge at microlnk.net
Tue Nov 1 14:06:19 CET 2005

> My current issues seem to all resolve around the "check_dns" plugin.  I
> have it configured to monitor a DNS server or two, and Nagios seems  to
> report my DNS servers as going up and down all the time..... And  most
> times it is reported back as:
>
> DNS WARNING - nslookup returned error status

I saw this same warning on a new Nagios server.  If you are like me, it
was related to an apparent bug in the Redhat RHEL kernel.  (I think it
was the kernel, anyway)

Regardless, the solution is to download and compile the check_dns plugin
from source.  If it detects it is on a system with the problem, it
implements a workaround.  My system works fine again after doing this.

--
Jason Byrns
Production Manager