Nagios-users digest, Vol 1 #2880 - 20 msgs

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Tue Nov 1 05:06:42 CET 2005

In message <D00B29FE26656E4783F128B118D8D437015455A3 at acexp001.portfolio.base>,
Stanley.Hopcroft at dest.gov.au writes:
>This Nagios site (government business/network node admin) is obliged to
>report periodically on node availability.
>
>The Nagios availability reporting is good but is not flexible enough to
>satisfy our requirements which include

>1 documents suitable for management - graphics but _no_ metrics (ie
>  no hard SLA processing or need to report on 'aggregate
>  availability'). This requirement is met here by transforming the
>  availability data into an Excel workbook and adding hyperlinks to the
>  Nag avail report and the trend graph for each host.
>
>2 automatable
>
>3 arbitrary selection of fields; adding new fields
>
>4 arbitrary ordering of availability records

Your requirements are something I have wished for in the past.

>To meet our requirements, I have developed a small and stupid class
>that sucks in the Nagios availability for a specified time period and
>then allows client code to mangle it, sort it etc by providing
>callbacks.

Very nice.

>Is anyone interested in such ? Or, if there is a better mousetrap, I
>would be very grateful to hear about it.

I am not sure if its a better mousetrap, but have you looked at
Nagios::ActivityLog at http://steveshipway.org/software/f_nagios.html.
The best part is that the author is actually in your part of the world
8-0.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard