New install - nagios-2.0b3

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Fri May 27 23:40:54 CEST 2005

Albert Whale wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Arno!
>
> Arno Lehmann wrote:
>
> I start it as follows:
>
> /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -d /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg
>
> There is nothing on the command line, and also no process running, so I
> have to seek out the syslog information to find the following:
>
> May 27 10:58:36 ns4 nagios: Nagios 2.0b3 starting... (PID=1633)
> May 27 10:58:36 ns4 nagios: LOG VERSION: 2.0
> May 27 10:58:36 ns4 nagios: Bailing out due to one or more errors
> encountered in the configuration files.  Run Nagios from the command
> line with the -v option to verify your config before restarting. (PID=1633)
>
> Again, the vicious cycle begins.  Do I need any environment variables
> set for this to work???  I get the same errors from the init.script
> startup for nagios.

Nothing like environment variables should be necessary.

First thing - check that nagios has the necessary rights to access its
configuration files, as I don't know if the config check switches user
before working. Simply use su - nagios to become the nagios user.

Second, you might try to run nagios in the foreground and under strace
or the debugger to see what it does.
I never tried it with nagios, and I'm not a programmer or even
experienced debugger, but quite often, I found, the last file operations
will tell you a lot about why a program terminates.

Then, I find lots of DEBUG ifdefs in Nagios' source, so it might be a
possibility to recompile nagios with -DDEBUG0 etc. and watch that working.

Arno

IT-Service Lehmann                    al at its-lehmann.de