Nagios Performance

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri May 27 09:15:39 CEST 2005

Ruiz, Francisco wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Does anyone see any drawbacks of changing the pipe-buffer to 8k from 4k?
> I am trying to solve some nagios performance issues, such as delayed
> alerts, and my feeling is if that I increase the buffer 2 fold, I may be
> able to eliminate this.
>
> Any thoughts?

It's been tested on other systems with a setting of about 16k I think.
Noone has reported any problems. The 4k boundary is just a kernel thing
to match the filesystem inode block size, so it's not really necessary.

If you're using Nagios 1 this will most likely help speed things up. If
you're using 2.x it will not.

Another thing to fiddle with is is service_result_reaper_frequency (or
something like that). Set it to 3 for quicker reaping. You should try
this first as it doesn't require a recompilation of the kernel.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer