Problem with freshness test

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Thu May 26 20:16:05 CEST 2005

On Thu, 26 May 2005, Bryan Loniewski wrote:

> On Thu, 26 May 2005 nagios-users-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've installed Nagios 2.0b3 in distributed mode : I have 3 Nagios who
> > send their results to a central one (which has the web site). And I've
> > set both service and host check freshness with an interval of 180
> > seconds.
> >
> > I can see in the log, messages like this one :
> > May 26 08:11:10 nagiosweb nagios: Warning: The results of service
> > 'WEB:TIMESHEET' on host 'timesheet' are stale by 30 seconds
> > (threshold=3D324 seconds).  I'm forcing an immediate check of the
> > service.
> >
> > But the test doesn't seems to be done because the "last check" field
> > remains old and the state doesn't change.
> >
> > So if someone could help me...
>
> I've asked about this issue as well (doing a "freshness check" search on users and devel
> mailing lists will yield some results).. UNLESS others comment on this, I believe their
> is a bug in the code, as I was getting inconsistent results with freshness checking.
>
> Does anyone have freshness checking working?
>
> If not, can some other nagios users verify it's not working for them as intended.. if
> some respond I'll file a bug report (the reason I'm waiting is b/c I'm not convinced yet
> that its a code problem and not a user "setting it up incorrectly" problem).

I've got freshness checking working just fine.  Make sure that you have:

        active_checks_enabled           1
        passive_checks_enabled          0

For all your service entries on Distributed Nagios and that you have:

        active_checks_enabled           0
        passive_checks_enabled          1

On Central.  Simply disabling active checks globally on Central didn't
work for me.

Hope that helps.

Demetri Mouratis
dmourati at linfactory.com