Nagios-1.2 - Trending Issue

Tom Brown tom.brown at goodtechnology.com
Thu May 26 16:58:48 CEST 2005

> Nagios has always used flat files for reporting (nagios.log and
> archives/*) regardless of the backend status data storage method. The
> database only ever contains current data, not historical.

Ok thanks for this -

> This seems logical to me and is correct behavior. If the host itself
> hasn't been down then the host has been available 100% of the time
> irregardless of what services on that host are doing. I would expect an
> availability report for the service to show the downtime for that
> service. Under your assumption how would you represent the availability
> of a host when one service has been up 100% of the time and another
> service on the same host has been available 0% of the time. Would the
> host availability be 50%? 0%? 100%? How about if there were 3 dozen
> services on that host and only one has been down? Would that host be
> considered unavailable?

OK my mistake i should have said trending a service and not trending a
host. If a service has failed it is not getting reported in the
trends/reporting pages. It just constantly says that services have been
available for 100% of the time which i know is not correct. In fact i
currently have a service that is in a warning state - It has just
started warning as its a disk check. I trend this check now over the
last 7 days and it says that its been warning for 100% of the time in
the last 7 days which is just not right.

any thoughts?