Problems in starting nagios 1.2

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu May 26 16:22:59 CEST 2005

/var/log/nagios/status.log

> touch /var/log/nagios/status.log and
> chown nagios.nagios /var/log/nagios/status.log
> this should help you.

Actually, this might work initially, but I'll bet you'll have problems
when nagios rotates the status log. Better to determine the reason why
nagios isn't/can't create the log file on it's own to begin with.
Several possibilities --

- The nagios user doesn't have write permission to /var/log/nagios.
- You have an error in your config (run /path/to/nagios/bin/nagios -v
/path/to/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg)
- The path to status.log as defined in the init script is different than
the path to status.log as defined in nagios.cfg (status_file=...).

That's likely not a comprehensive list but it's a start.

--
Marc