New install - nagios-2.0b3

Albert Whale aewhale at ABS-CompTech.com
Thu May 26 05:25:32 CEST 2005

I am running Mandrake 10.1, and had installed the Nagios-2.0a1 release
from Mandrake, which also dod nit work.

Here is my issues, a stock (textbook - from the Docs) indicates that the
is complete, and clean:

 /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg

Nagios 2.0b3
Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Ethan Galstad (www.nagios.org)
Last Modified: 04-03-2005
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

Running pre-flight check on configuration data...

Checking services...
        Checked 5 services.
Checking hosts...
        Checked 1 hosts.
Checking host groups...
        Checked 1 host groups.
Checking service groups...
        Checked 0 service groups.
Checking contacts...
        Checked 1 contacts.
Checking contact groups...
        Checked 1 contact groups.
Checking service escalations...
        Checked 0 service escalations.
Checking service dependencies...
        Checked 0 service dependencies.
Checking host escalations...
        Checked 0 host escalations.
Checking host dependencies...
        Checked 0 host dependencies.
Checking commands...
        Checked 22 commands.
Checking time periods...
        Checked 1 time periods.
Checking extended host info definitions...
        Checked 0 extended host info definitions.
Checking extended service info definitions...
        Checked 0 extended service info definitions.
Checking for circular paths between hosts...
Checking for circular host and service dependencies...
Checking global event handlers...
Checking obsessive compulsive processor commands...
Checking misc settings...

Total Warnings: 0
Total Errors:   0

Things look okay - No serious problems were detected during the
pre-flight check

In the configuration directory I have the following:
[/etc/nagios] ls
bigger.cfg-sample         minimal.cfg-sample       passwd
cgi.cfg-sample            misccommands.cfg         resource.cfg
checkcommands.cfg         misccommands.cfg-sample  resource.cfg-sample
checkcommands.cfg-sample  nagios.cfg
minimal.cfg               nagios.cfg-sample

However,when I attempt to start the processing, I get the following:
[/usr/local/nagios/var] tail nagios.log
[1117077252] Nagios 2.0b3 starting... (PID=16357)
[1117077252] LOG VERSION: 2.0
[1117077252] Bailing out due to one or more errors encountered in the
configuration files.  Run Nagios from the command line with the -v
option to verify your config before restarting. (PID=16357)

Talk about a vicious cycle!

Does anyone have a suggestion at what I need to review next?  Obviously
the overview process is missing something here.

--
Albert E. Whale, CHS CISA CISSP
Sr. Security, Network, Risk Assessment and Systems Consultant