email not gouing to the destination.

Askar Ali askarali at beaconet.net
Wed May 18 14:20:08 CEST 2005

Bimal Pandit wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>

> ---------------  SNIP  -------------------
>

>>> I have configured my nagios-2.0b on FC3 and is working good!!, i
>>> mean... what i was looking for...
>>> except that i also configured it to send email to the contact
>>> person, but it is not sending any mails to them!!!, what other
>>> config. i need to do pls. guide me.
>>>
>>> my contacts.cfg is
>>>
>>> define contact{
>>>        contact_name                              bimal
>>>        alias                                             Administrator
>>>        service_notification_period        24x7
>>>        host_notification_period             24x7
>>>        service_notification_options       w,u,c,r
>>>        host_notification_options            d,u,r
>>>        service_notification_commands  notify-by-email
>>>        host_notification_commands       host-notify-by-email
>>>        email
>>> bimal.pandit at indoasian.com
>>>        }
>>>
>>> My nagios server is 10.10.2.31 while my email server is 10.10.2.10
>>>
>>> any pointer will be of great help.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> hi,
>>
>> Install sendmail "probably from rpm" on the nagios machine and you
>> are done :P
>

> ---------------  SNIP  -------------------
>
> i had that, even i tried as
>
> vi /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
>
> and did
>
> define(`SMART_HOST',`10.10.2.10')
>
> then  "m4 sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf" and  then "service sendmail restart"
>
> but..... ,
>
> is there any other reference/config it requires in nagios???
>
> any help will be appreciated.
>
> regards,
>
> Bimal Pandit

> reporting any issue. ::: Messages without supporting info will risk
> being sent to /dev/null

for reciving notifications you must have to stop/start the services or
host nogios monitoring, coz nogios only send notifications when some
warning or alerts occur.

Do check from command line that your sendmail is working by sending email...

mail -s Test yourname at yourdomin.com

Check tail -f /var/log/maillog fail for any possible clue why nogios not
sending notifications.

  Lastly if all the above showing nothing, then do paste lines from
"misccommands.cfg for "notify-by-email-blah" .

regards

Askar