Monitoring Disk Space

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Mon May 16 23:03:31 CEST 2005

fmapconsulting at aol.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to understand what the sintax args in disk space monitor
> means....
>
> I've put into my config file the following line:
>
> check_local_disk!40%!10%!/dev/hda2
>
> I've read that the first arg is Warning end the second one is
> critical... I don't understanding the fact that my server has about 34%
> of file system used and nagios is showing me as critical disk space....
>
> According to the above line, the warning should be when disk would have
> 40% space left... and critical when disk would have 10% space left....
> Am I right?

That all depends on how 'check_local_disk' is defined.  Look in your
checkcommands.cfg (and any other .cfg's you might have) for something
that looks like this:

define command{
         command_name    check_local_disk
         command_line    $USER1$/check_disk -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -p $ARG3$
         }

That defines what 'check_local_disk' means.  In your case, '40%' would
be $ARG1$, '10%' would be $ARG2$, and '/dev/hda2' would be $ARG3$.

You can manually run 'check_disk' with the '-h' option to see what all
the options do.