windows network share checker

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Mon May 16 20:58:27 CEST 2005

Hi,

Michael Da Silva wrote:

> can anyone fill me in on how to use check_rpc to check for window  shares?
>
> # 'check-nfs' command definition
> define command{
>         command_name    check-nfs
>         command_line    /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_rpc -H
> $HOSTADDRESS$ -C nfs -c2,3
>         }

Erm... do you want to know how to use the above command or how to check
for windows shares?

Rhe latter would be done with check_smb, for example.

> when the above command is run against a server hosting windows shares  i
> receive the following error:
>
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LANGUAGE = "en_CA:en",
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LANG = "en_CA.UTF-8"
>     are supported and installed on your system.
> CRITICAL: RPC program nfs  version 2 version 3 udp is not running
>

> does anyone know whats wrong?
Yes.
Two things.
First, perl warnings: the locale en_CA etc. are not supported by perl on
your system. (probably because of the UTF-8 charset). You can avoid the
warnings (note: these are not errors!) by manually setting the C locale
or by installing the necessary perl stuff.

Second, the host you check does not have nfs version 2 and/or 3 vie udp.
 From the subject, I guess that was to be expected, because a windows
share is usually not exported via nfs but via smb.

If this is your problem, you should set up check_smb.

Arno

IT-Service Lehmann                    al at its-lehmann.de