** Help ** Last Step in Nagios ** Wierd Probem.

Askar Ali askarali at beaconet.net
Sat May 14 12:29:35 CEST 2005

Wasif Khan wrote:

> OK  Here we go:-
>
> 1. Installed Nagios Step by Step per Documentation.
> 2. IBM HTTP Server is running.
> 3. I can access web interface using http://myhost/nagios/
> 4. When I click on Any side menu links (Reports..eg. View Config) I
> get 404 error.
> 5. I have verified that HTTP has access to CGI files.
> 6. I have done the preflight ./nagios -v
> /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg which listed 0 errors 0 warnings.
> 7. I have started Nagios using ./nagios -d
> /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
>
> I have checked the nagios.log which has the following:-
> [1116036334] Nagios 1.0 starting... (PID=1707)
> [1116036334] Finished daemonizing... (New PID=1708)
>
> I am not sure what am I doing wrong.  How can I check the following..
> I am new to Linux and Nagios so trying my best to learn and not ask
> stupid questions.
>
> A. How can I determin if nagios is running ( I used top command, but
> dont see nagios)
> B. I ran nagios on foreground using command ./nagios
> /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg.  It says starting nagios .. that is it.
>
> I need some directions... set of commands and what I could be doing
> wrong ..  I have checked and rechecked config files, all paths are
> correct, macros are defined correctly etc....
>
> Thank you for your help ..
>
> Regards

> reporting any issue. ::: Messages without supporting info will risk
> being sent to /dev/null

hi,

First of all you have to confirm wheathe or not nagios is running on
linux you can do this with ps command "man ps" is your best bet :)

tip of the day :P
ps -ef | grep nagios

hmm "top" command not showing any nagios process even though "top"
should have to report atleast 2 nagios processes.

check the log files for possible clue.

regards
Askar