Error in check_ping

Dan Hopkins dan.hopkins at uk.easynet.net
Fri May 13 12:58:57 CEST 2005

We had this for a while - for us it was narrowed down to intermittent dns
failures (why dns lookups are being done on ip address pings, I don't know)
but fixing the failures cured it here. The plugins (especially the ones that
parse output from other binaries) seem flaky at best when things don't work
'as expected'.

check_icmp displayed similar random mass flapping, which is even more
baffling being a native plugin rather than a binary wrapper, but since it's
no longer an issue here I haven't spent any more time investigating.

Dan