Statusmap.cgi strange behviour - gdImagePng

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed May 11 09:19:45 CEST 2005

Phil Tuttiett wrote:
> Hi,
>     I'm having fun :-( with one of my implementations of nagios - 2.0b3
> on a SuSE Enterprise Server 9 box.
>
> Having finally getting the statusmap to work - after rftm - and making
> sure **all** the required graphics components were installed. I suspect
> I'm still missing something. Statusmap.cgi now runs, but displays a
> broken image box in the browser. All the popups display OK. Trend.cgi
> displays the same behaviour.
>
> In the apaches error log, I get
>
> /usr/local/nagios/sbin/statusmap.cgi: error while loading shared
> libraries: /usr/local/nagios/sbin/statusmap.cgi: undefined symbol:
> gdImagePng, referer: http://myhost/nagios/cgi-bin/statusmap.cgi?host=all
>
> I have the gd libraries (gd and gd-devel, libpng and libpng-devel).
> Which one am I missing; or where is gdImagePng defined?

In gd. You need to install a libgd that has been built with libpng
installed. I can't imagine why suse would do it any other way, but
apparently they have.

> I have another implementation on a test box at home, with (I think) the
> same libraries & packages installed, which behaves perfectly!

Perhaps you installed libpng prior to gd on that one? I don't know how
much magic SuSE works to prevent the user from seeing warnings, but it's
entirely possible that their package management tool (RPM with Synaptic
for frontend) works around dependencies if they aren't met (stupid,
stupid, stupid).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer