hp switches and checking snmp

Michael Hertrick m.hertrick at neovera.com
Sun May 8 03:57:52 CEST 2005

Todd,

I am monitoring an HP Procurv switch.  MRTG logs the interface I/O and
error counters (and graphs them, of course).  The check_mrtg[traf]
plugin monitors the MRTG log files for threshold breaches.  This way
only one query per check interval is necessary.  I don't use check_snmp
because each device would be queried twice per interval, once with MRTG
and once with check_snmp.

For system events, like bad fan or module failure, can you configure
your HP switch to send SNMP traps to the Nagios host?  Using traps cuts
down on monitoring load since a trap is only sent when there is an
event.  Have you read the Nagios documentation on using SNMP event
handlers?

I do not monitor the HP switch SNMP traps, though; so I can not say
whether that part works well.  For whatever it's worth, I can't think of
any reason it wouldn't.

Regards,
Mike Hertrick
Neovera, Inc.