Event Handlers Problem

Thomas Beecher tbeecher at localnet.com
Wed May 4 17:56:41 CEST 2005

Well, that was a serious brain fart on my part!!

I moved the script to /usr/local/nagios/libexec/, and changed
checkcommands.cfg to show:

define command{
         command_name    restart_pm3
         command_line    $USER1$/restart_pm3.pl $HOSTNAME$ $HOSTSTATE$
         }

$USER1$ is defined in resource.cfg as

$USER1$=/usr/local/nagios/libexec

Permissions on the file are:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 nagios   nagios   1701 2005-05-04 10:47 restart_pm3.pl

I've changed the ownership to nagios/nagios to prevent any other
potential permission issues.

This returns the following:

[1115221615] HOST ALERT: buftest;DOWN;SOFT;1;Telnet: CRITICAL - Socket
timeout after 1 seconds<br>SNMP: CRITICAL: snmpget returned errors: 1 (
  )<br>PING: CRITICAL - Host Unreachable (10.0.2.152)
[1115221615] HOST EVENT HANDLER: buftest;DOWN;SOFT;1;restart_pm3
[1115221625] HOST ALERT: buftest;DOWN;SOFT;2;Telnet: CRITICAL - Socket
timeout after 1 seconds<br>SNMP: CRITICAL: snmpget returned errors: 1 (
  )<br>PING: CRITICAL - Host Unreachable (10.0.2.152)
[1115221625] HOST EVENT HANDLER: buftest;DOWN;SOFT;2;restart_pm3
[1115221634] HOST ALERT: buftest;DOWN;SOFT;3;Telnet: CRITICAL - Socket
timeout after 1 seconds<br>SNMP: CRITICAL: snmpget returned errors: 1 (
  )<br>PING: CRITICAL - Host Unreachable (10.0.2.152)
[1115221634] HOST EVENT HANDLER: buftest;DOWN;SOFT;3;restart_pm3

It doesn't error out, and seems to call the script, but it still doesn't
run.

I have not tested the script as the Nagios user, however the front of
the script is set to dump whatever args get passed to it out to a file
before doing anything else, so if it was choking somwhere in the script
it would still be logged that it ran.

Thomas Beecher II
Network Administrator
LocalNet, Inc