Perfdata confusion

Wolfgang Barth wob at swobspace.de
Mon May 2 20:47:23 CEST 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 03:22:04PM +0000, bru1n at comcast.net wrote:
> I read through the manuals for both 1.0 and 2.0, (I'm using 2, and 1.0 looks quite different)and I think I'm going in a circle. Looking at the examples, well there isn't one for this section of nagios.cfg. I see the perfdata nagios/var/*.out | *.dat are just text (logs), but it is not clear to me what the pupose is of them.
>
> nagios.cfg:
> process_performance_data=1

There are to mechanism for processing perfdata:

1) using Templates
2) direct call of an external program

For writing perfdata in logfiles, use 1). 2) is good if you are using
nagiosgraph or other programs, which inserts perfdata directly in a local
database.

Parameter for 1):
- host/service_perfdata_file=<logfile or named pipe>
- host/service_perfdata_file_template=<format of writing data>
- host/service_perfdata_file_mode=a|w
  -> a = append for plain files
  -> w = write for named pipes

If you have a program which is parsing the logfile independent of nagios,
that's all, let the program poll your logfile.
If you want that nagios should start the external program:
- *_perfdata_file_processing_command=<nagios command object>
- *_perfdata_file_processing_interval=<time between two calls>

Instead of using perfdata_file_processing parameters, you also could use
cron for periodically polling.

Parameter for 2):
- host/service_perfdata_command=<nagios command object>

An example with nagiosgraph using 2):

define command{
   command_name    process-service-perfdata
   command_line   <somewhere>/insert.pl "$LASTSERVICECHECK$||$HOSTNAME$||$SERVICEDESC$||$SERVICEOUTPUT$||$SERVICEPERFDATA$"
	      }

There ist no write to an external logfile or pipe, insert.pl writes
perfdata directly to a round robin database (rrd).

You can use 1) and 2) in parallel, i.e. filling perf2rrd and nagiosgraph
with perfdata, in all other cases use *_perfdata_file_* parameters  (1) *or*
perfdata_command (2).

Hope this helps.
wob
--