not getting initial notifications in a timely manner

Tony Heal theal at pace2020.com
Thu Mar 31 20:50:01 CEST 2005

Hello all

I have a system set up that uses only passive checks. The way this system
works is on the client server (Linux, Debian) there is a cron job set to run
a script every 3 minutes. That script parses the required data from the
client server and send to a POSTable web page on the Nagios server. The web
page simply appends the data to the 'external command file' where it is put
into Nagios.

All of this works fine. My problem occurs when a service or host has a
problem I do not get notified immediately, or even close to that. As I
understand what I have read the 'notification_interval' for services and
hosts is the interval that you will be notified AFTER the initial
notification. How do I set the Initial Notification. I do not appear to be
getting it.

Below is my services and host config info. Am I missing something? Is
something set up wrong? Any assistance is appreciated.

Tony

define service{
        use                             appliances
        name                            standard-passive      ; The 'name'
of this service template, referenced in other service definitions
        hostgroup_name
hostgroup.appliances.ping,hostgroup.appliances.noping,hostgroup.dev,hostgrou
p.qa
        active_checks_enabled           0       ; Active service checks are
enabled
        passive_checks_enabled          1       ; Passive service checks are
enabled/accepted
        parallelize_check               1       ; Active service checks
should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major performance
problems)
        obsess_over_service             1       ; We should obsess over this
service (if necessary)
        check_freshness                 1
        freshness_threshold             900               ; 15 minutes
threshold to determine if checks are stale
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Service notifications are
enabled
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event handler is
enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status information
across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  network-admins
        check_command                   stale-checks             ; this
command is run only if the service results are "stale"
        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }

# Service definition remote cpu 15 minute load average
define service{
        use                             standard-passive         ; Name of
service template to use
        service_description             cpu.load.fifteen
        }

define host{
        name                            generic-host    ; This host
template - referenced in other host definitions, used for template
recursion/resolution
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Host notifications are
enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Host event handler is
enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status information
across program restarts
#        check_command                  check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts              20
        notification_interval           60
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            d,u,r
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts
        contact_groups                  network-admins
        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL HOST, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }

# 'client host' host definition
define host{
        use                     generic-host            ; Name of host
template to use
        host_name               client host
        alias                   client host
        address                 123.123.123.123