Fwd: nagios-service-refresh-rate

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Thu Mar 31 14:23:36 CEST 2005

Hi.

At least your forwarding of your own mail made it readable (i.e. less
html formatting).

vivek sharma sharma wrote:

>   Dear all,
>     Any suggestions on this.
> I have to solve this urgently.

You _do_ know that this is not the support line for paying customers?

> Dear all,
> I am using Nagios® Version 2.0b version.on redhat linux-9.0
> My service configuration is:
>         define service{
>         use                            generic-service
>         host_name                      flowc.XXX.net
>         service_description            check_ping
>         is_volatile                    0
>         check_period                    24x7
>         check_freshness                1
>         freshness_threshold            60
>         max_check_attempts              3
>         normal_check_interval          5
>         retry_check_interval            1
>         contact_groups                  noc-support
>         notification_interval          120
>         notification_period            24x7
>         notification_options            c,r
>         check_command                  check_ping
>         }
> define service{
>         name                            generic-service
>         active_checks_enabled          1
>         passive_checks_enabled          1
>         parallelize_check              1
>         obsess_over_service            1
>         check_freshness                0
>         notifications_enabled          1
>         event_handler_enabled          1
>         process_perf_data              1
>         retain_status_information      1
>         retain_nonstatus_information    1
>         register                        0
>                 }
> define command{
>         command_name    check_ping
>         command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 450.0,40%
> -c 1750.0,98%
>         }
>
> But the problem that it shows the service as down only after about ten
> minutes and also to show the service as up also it shows it after sya
> ten minutes again.

Right. Read up on check_intervals and check_attempts. That _might_ have
something to do with your problem.

By the way: What does "show" in your paragpraph above mean? Do you mean
the web interface, or the notifications?

> Is it anything related to the above command::basically i wuld like to
> know that when we say xx% loss or xxms latency then after how many tries
> this %age is calculated how the command is actually working.

The percentage is calculated like ... well, like you calculate
percentages. Someting like 100*(sent-returned)/sent is what I'd guess.
If you need to know better you can read the sourcecode. I doubt anyone
will explain the inner workings of the plugins to you - you asked your
questions often enough, and to me it seems as though you should be able
to find out what you want by simply using the documentation coming with
the software.

If you need help undertandning the manual you should ask people around
you, because on a mailing list it's sort of dificult to discuss one's
undertanding of the documentation. If you don't have the time to use the
manual you should pay somebody to setup nagios according to your needs.

By the way: The number of tries is determined by the command line
options you give the plugin. You _should_ try check_<insert generic
plugin check command name here> -h and try to understand the output.
Doing some trying on the command line doesn't hurt either.

Arno

IT-Service Lehmann                    al at its-lehmann.de