HP Printers Status Down, Yet Ping is OK

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Mar 31 09:09:31 CEST 2005

Read the section on attaching large files to email.

Eric Paulsen wrote:
> Just getting started with nagios on OS X Server 10.3.8. I have all the
> various hosts replying properly now, except for the HP printers. I've
> attached two PDF screen shots showing the services and hosts. One shows
> the various checks O.K. but the hosts are down, the other shows ping
> failing (looks like it was using ping6 instead of ping?).

It's your configuration. If you don't know what ping command you've
attached, then how do you expect anyone else to do so?

If you're confused about the check_ping plugin you can try check_icmp
instead. It's available at http://oss.op5.se/nagios

With nagios 2.x, a single service like this might prove useful;
define service {
	use ping-service
	host_name *
	check_command check_icmp!warn!crit
}

assuming you've specified the checkcommand correctly ofcourse.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer