HP Printers Status Down, Yet Ping is OK

Eric Paulsen epaulsen at smls.org
Wed Mar 30 20:51:52 CEST 2005

On Mar 30, 2005, at 12:37 PM, Eric Paulsen wrote:

> Just getting started with nagios on OS X Server 10.3.8. I have all the
> various hosts replying properly now, except for the HP printers. I've
> attached two PDF screen shots showing the services and hosts. One
> shows the various checks O.K. but the hosts are down, the other shows
> ping failing (looks like it was using ping6 instead of ping?).
>
> <Picture 1.pdf>
>
> <Picture 2.pdf>
>
> I've used your excellent list archive search in plugins and the
> regular user sections to no avail. Googling didn't turn up anything
> either.

Now I feel pretty stupid. I had added -4 to the end of the check_ping
command to force IP4, however, I didn't realize the Nagios used
check-host-alive for the host status. I thought it just used the
results from check_ping. Anyway, adding the -4 to the end of the
check-host-alive command took care of it.

---
Eric J. Paulsen
Technology Director
St. Matthew's Lutheran School