Event handlers

Chris Wilson chris at aidworld.org
Tue Mar 29 13:06:39 CEST 2005

Hi all,

> > If I understand your issue correctly, it looks like all you need is a
> > service dependency, wherein if you can't ping real server then
> > notifications for  http are suppressed. Your event handler, however, will
> > still be triggered. But I'm not sure if that's what you want....r
[...]
> It seems rather awkward, adds a maintenance headache, and requires extra
> training for the support staff, so I'm still looking for a better
> solution. But I will try it and let you know if it works.

Just to update you all as promised:

I found a better solution (for my needs). I wrote a combined OCSP
handler and host event handler in a shell script, that does the
following:

* If the host is reported down (host event handler), remove it from
pool.

* If an HTTP check fails, count the number of HTTP checks currently in
the DOWN state, using the check_cluster plugin.

* If only one is down, schedule immediate checks of all the others,
using external commands

* If two or more are down, remove host from pool.

* If any filter service is reported OK, and host is not in pool, add it
back to pool.

This should ensure a quick response to any failed HTTP check, without
flapping hosts in and out of the pool (since two different checks must
fail for a host to be removed).

Cheers, Chris.
--
(aidworld) chris wilson | chief engineer (chris at aidworld.org)