Event ID - reference older threads

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Mar 28 21:50:00 CEST 2005

Scott Nixon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This message refers to a particular older thread, as well as several
> others.  I'm basically seeking the answer as to whether and how you can
> integrate Nagios with a ticketing system such that once a service event
> goes into a non-OK state...all subsequent events and notifications for
> that service are grouped into the same ticket until the service returns
> to an OK state.  Seems the best way to do this is to incorporate some
> sort of persistent and unique event id.
>
> In this link:
> https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=8873121
>
> James Kingston says he is doing that.
> "We use hostname-(servicename|hostalert)-timet (although we re-use the
>  same id until the host/service recovery)"
>
> The one part that I don't understand is the "timet".  I assume he's
> using the TIMET macro...but if I am sending out multiple notifications
> (as in an escalation tree) wouldn't the TIMET of each notification be
> different?  How is he re-using this id on subsequent notifications?

The id is externally generated (most likely by the ticket-handling
system). The ticket management system communicates the id back to the
monitoring host somehow and a receiving program enters a record of it
that the notification script reads on further notifications. When the
script is asked to send a recovery notice it deletes the id entry for
the particular service or host.

It's fairly simple really, but requires additional code since Nagios
doesn't keep track of events.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer