NSClient++ 0.0.2 (alpha 1) [intial NRPE support]

Michael Medin michael at medin.name
Mon Mar 28 12:48:52 CEST 2005

Greetings,

A new version of NSClient++ has been released.
The most interesting new feature is probably "initial NRPE support".
There have also been a few internal restructuring that is rather
interesting for "me".
I have also decided to drop the experimental "check_nscp" UNIX plug in
as you might as well use check_nrpe since we now have support for that.

For NRPE fans I have to disappoint a bit as there is no encryption
support yet (so you either have to compile without it or use the -n
option). But expect NRPE encryption support in the future. The NRPE
configuration is fairly "similar" to nrpe.cfg but NSC.ini has sections
which nrpe.cfg lacks. As for plug ins I haven't actually tested any NRPE
plug ins (only batch files I quickly wrote) but the concept is the same
so I assume they will all work as expected. In addition to executing
external scripts you can also execute internal commands (using the
inject command) to be able to use for instance NSClient commands from
check_nrpe. There are a few examples on how to do this in NSC.ini.

Again feel free to come with suggestions, bug reports and what not as I
don't really use this much myself as we have a pretty limited Nagios
monitoring so CPU/Disk is generally enough for us.

You can as usual find NSClient++ at http://www.sf.net/projects/nscplus

// Michael Medin