Latency problems

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Mar 24 09:11:37 CET 2005

Steve Shipway wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I have some problems with Latency on my system (Nagios 1.2).  Things start
> off OK, but the latency builds up until after a few days it is >120sec,
> which is getting a bit unworkable.  I'm not sure why it is rising like this,
> so maybe someone has an idea?
>
> I have 1555 active checks (most at 5min frequency, but some at 1 or 15 or
> event 60 min frequency) and 19 passive.  There are 303 hosts.
>
> nagios.cfg settings:
>
> inter_check_delay_method=s
> service_interleave_factor=s

1.x has a problem with checks that are scheduled "smart" when the
default interval is widely spread that causes it to spread all checks
over the average of the default_check_interval. It shows up exactly as
you've described above.

> max_concurrent_checks=300
> service_reaper_frequency=5

You could try lowering your service_reaper_frequency to 2 or something.

> sleep_time=1
>
> System is a 4-cpu 2Gb Linux server, and is running at a normal load average
> <2 and CPU average usage of 50%. No swap activity to speak of and lots of
> spare memory, so it could easily cope with running more service checks.
>
> If I do a nagios reload every day then the latency remains relatively low,
> but this is not exactly ideal.  What could be causing things to get so far
> out of alignment?  How come it doesn't kick off all the checks in the queue
> immediately?  Should I reduce sleep_time to 0?  Maybe concurrent_checks
> should be higher?

concurrent checks should most likely be 0 considering the fairly beefy
hardware you're using.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer