SV: Nagios 2.0 stable

Aaron Carr aaronhcarr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 18:02:13 CET 2005

I and my direct manager share your affinity to open source, however,
when you're part of an organization that has 190+ subsidiaries
(totally over 100K people), you either do what the "standards" group
tells you to do, or you're shown the door.  The only reason I was
allowed to implement Nagios in this environment is because the
standards group has yet to determine a path forward for monitoring.
One week it's OpenView, the next it's Tivoli, the next it's NetIQ.  So
we've deployed this until someone makes the final decision on which
way to go.  That still doesn't keep us safe from the *no beta
software* rule.  So we do what we must to get by.

In this environment, the only way that's going to change is to get
someone more open source friendly into the standards group.

Hopefully anyone else reading this will take it into consideration
when you're out doing job interviews.  It may not be a deciding factor
for you in what position you do/don't accept, but it'll definitely be
good to know the stance of your  future employer regarding open
source.

Aaron