SV: Nagios 2.0 stable

jeff vier boinger at tradingtechnologies.com
Wed Mar 23 17:43:44 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 10:24 -0500, Aaron Carr wrote:
> While I understand your statement, and for the most part, agree with
> the underlying intent, some of us are forced to care.
>
> At the moment, I'm working for a fortune 100 company.  I would be
> crucified if I used a *beta* software in a production capacity.  This
> company has just barely allowed Linux, and several other well known
> open source applications (Apache, Tomcat)  for use to begin with.
>
> For those of us in environments such as this, we *must* wait until the
> beta is declared successful, and that tag is removed from the version.
>
> Does that mean that there won't be bugs?  Of course not.  Does that
> mean that the processes for support or bugfixes change?  Again, of
> course not.  That's the just the rules in places like this.

edit the code and make it say "stable" ;)

Okay, I see your point.

I'll amend my opinion to begin "Unless it's a matter of policy..."

I will say, though, I am very glad I don't have to be stifled by such
arbitrariness.  I am expected to provide the best there is to offer, not
provide it in any certain way.  A major pet peeve of mine (such that I
would be very actively looking for work should it occur at this point in
my career) is someone who doesn't know any better (often referred to as
"management") telling me *what* to implement, as opposed to what the end
goal is.  I've been doing this a long time - I am fully capable of
determining the right tool for the job.

Also, *very* fortunately, my boss is a strong OSS believer (to the
occasional dismay of some of the higher-ups) and I don't ever have to
justify what tools I'm using.  I just do it, and show the results.

--boinger