DOWN status not captured?

Sally Low frogmist at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 15:34:37 CET 2005

Hi everybody,
I'm using Nagios 1.2 with freebsd 5.3. i have been using Nagios for
the last few weeks without any problems until yesterday.

I have configured check_ping on a particular interface on my juniper m
router. I set the ip add of that interface to be 10.11.105.88. Some
time later, i changed the ip add of that interface and i even
restarted the nagios daemon via external commands (though i shd not
need to do that). However, for the whole day (i went off after that,
totally forgetting about the change in ip add), Nagios did not raise
any alerts even though pinging that ip add configured in Nagios should
return DOWN. Via the cgi, the service status still showed UP.
Everything else was ok... the checks were enabled (can tell from the
time of last check and next scheduled check), notifcations were
enabled etc. When i tried to ping 10.11.105.88 from the machine on
which nagios sits, i got Destination unreachable reply. So why is it
that the cgi still showed an ok status??

Eventually i shut down the nagios process via external command and
restarted it using command line at the freebsd machine. Only then did
it detect that ip add to be down. My question is this: has this
happened to someone before? Is it a bug with v1.2? I'm very worried
about this coz i dun want to be sleeping through an outage due to the
lack of alerts. I'm very sure it's not coz of my config as i've been
running on this config for some time.

Thanks a lot!