Configuring Nagios..

Luis Vidrio vid1972 at vidworld.net
Sat Mar 19 01:28:48 CET 2005

A C wrote:

> I am configurng Nagios for our company..After doing the requisite
> Config I run the pre-flight test and get the following message.
>
> [root at Handson etc]# /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v
> /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
>
> Nagios 2.0b2
> Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Ethan Galstad (www.nagios.org)
> Last Modified: 02-09-2005
> License: GPL
>
> Reading configuration data...
>
> Running pre-flight check on configuration data...
>
> Checking services...
> Warning: Service 'HTTP' on host 'Amit-vmware'  has no check time
> period defined!
> Warning: Service 'HTTP' on host 'Amit-vmware' has no notification time
> period defined!
>         Checked 1 services.
> Checking hosts...
>         Checked 1 hosts.
> Checking host groups...
>         Checked 1 host groups.
> Checking service groups...
>         Checked 0 service groups.
> Checking contacts...
> Warning: Contact 'amit' has no service notification time period defined!
> Warning: Contact 'amit' has no host notification time period defined!
>         Checked 1 contacts.
> Checking contact groups...
>         Checked 1 contact groups.
> Checking service escalations...
>         Checked 0 service escalations.
> Checking service dependencies...
>         Checked 0 service dependencies.
> Checking host escalations...
>         Checked 0 host escalations.
> Checking host dependencies...
>         Checked 0 host dependencies.
> Checking commands...
>         Checked 22 commands.
> Checking time periods...
>         Checked 0 time periods.
> Checking extended host info definitions...
>         Checked 0 extended host info definitions.
> Checking extended service info definitions...
>         Checked 0 extended service info definitions.
> Checking for circular paths between hosts...
> Checking for circular host and service dependencies...
> Checking global event handlers...
> Checking obsessive compulsive processor commands...
> Checking misc settings...
>
> Total Warnings: 4
> Total Errors:  0
>
> Things look okay - No serious problems were detected during the
> pre-flight check
> [root at Handson etc]#

> Then I start the nagios service and get output as follows.
>
> [root at Handson usr]# /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios
> /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
>
> Nagios 2.0b2
> Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Ethan Galstad (www.nagios.org)
> Last Modified: 02-09-2005
> License: GPL
>
> Nagios 2.0b2 starting... (PID=8456)
> Warning: Service 'HTTP' on host 'Amit-vmware'  has no check time
> period defined!
> Warning: Service 'HTTP' on host 'Amit-vmware' has no notification time
> period defined!
> [...]

Verify you have the following entries:

HTTP service config:

check_period                    24x7
notification_period             24x7

Contact config:

service_notification_period     24x7
 host_notification_period        24x7

You're time periods may vary. But those lines, I believe, are required.
I think that should do it.

Luis