Nagiostat tutorial?

Edward MacGillivray mac at biviumcorp.com
Fri Mar 18 19:21:54 CET 2005

On Friday 18 March 2005 8:10 am, Braun Brelin wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to use the Nagiostat utility (The utility
> created by Carl Bingel which uses rrdtool...)
>
> I've got it up and installed, but I'n having a hard time figuring out how
> to create any graphs.  Is there a decent tutorial on this?  I've tried
> messing around with the nagiostat.conf file and create some "ping" graphs
> but I only get the "broken gif" icon rather than anything useful.

This usually means that there is an error message in the webserver's log
files, check your access or error logs and you should find some useful
information.

If the RRD files are not being found then check that they are being created in
the archives folder.  If they aren't, check permissions.  If permissions are
good, then put nagiostat in debug mode and check to see what "rddtool create"
command is being issued.  Then execute that command yourself and see what
errors it gives.  I was always able to find out what mistake I'd made from
these error messages.

> Is there an easier method of creating graphs than editing the conf file?

Not that I've found, I didn't look much further than the files that came with
the tool though.  Setting up the graphs is all straightforward, the problem
is that this is involved and highly sensitive to errors (usually some
mismatch in the config).

mac