External Commands via CGI interface

Peter J. Holzer hjp+nagios at wsr.ac.at
Wed Mar 16 09:55:50 CET 2005

On 2005-03-16 09:21:45 +0100, Marco Borsani wrote:
> I never have used before ext commands via CGI, until today.
>
> Now, I' like to use some of them, like :
> - Add a new comment
> - Disable/enable notifications
> - ....
> but, when I try to use them , I receive this error message:

The first thing to do when you receive an error message is to paste it
into google. Chances are high that you are not the first one who
received it. In this case you don't even have to click on any of the
links, because the solution is right in the synopsis of google's first
hit.

> Error: Could not stat() command file '/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd'!
> The external command file may be missing, Nagios may not be running, and/or
> Nagios may not be checking external commands.

This error message should be changed to include the most common cause:
The CGI script has no permission to stat the file.

> An error occurred while attempting to commit your command for processing.
>
> File nagios.cmd has these permissions:
> prw-rw----   1 nagios     nagios           0 Mar 16 09:18 nagios.cmd

Hint: Which user and group are your CGI scripts running as?

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer \Beta means "we're down to fixing misspelled comments in
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR     \the source, and you might run into a memory leak if
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ \write your plugins upside-down in lisp". --ae at op5.se