Network bandwidth utilised by nagios

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Mar 14 12:42:51 CET 2005

Vinod Moraes wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to get some information on the overheads caused on the
> network bandwidth  by using nagios

This is quite impossible to calculate, as all networks are widely
individual. If you do a lot of SNMP checks, or check ftp downloads with
large files, you'll quite naturally get a higher impact on the network.
If you check a lot of cpu-heavy things over strong encryption tunnels
you will quite naturally affect the performance of the monitored nodes.

As always, each admin will have to find their own way to achieve a
nicely balanced equilibrium. This generally sorts itself out, as it's
usually very simple to see which checks wreak havoc in the network and
simply disable them if the impact is too great.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer