plugin to monitor connections to a port

Andrew Cruse andrew at profitability.net
Thu Mar 10 14:08:55 CET 2005

nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to monitor a particular port used by jabber.
> such that if the number of connections to the port increases
> above a certain limit.it should sent me notification. which
> plugins can i use and  .what command ???

There isn't an existing plugin that I'm aware of that could do this.  It
would be fairly trivial to write one though...a shell script that does
something along the lines of:

netstat -apn | grep -c ":[jabberport]"

Would probably do the trick.  You could then either wrap that up in your
own plugin, or publish the value via SNMP and get it using the SNMP
plugin.

Andrew