nagios-statd and SIGCHLD issue

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 10 07:41:11 CET 2005

Did you "see the NOTES section of 'man 2 wait'"?  It pretty much explains
what is going on.  Red Hat's latest kernels take a more strict approach to
signal handling and nagios-statd hasn't been upgraded to account for this
new approach.  It's nothing to worry about and most certainly not the
cause of your crash.

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Lee Kriebaum wrote:

> I had a Linux box (RH 9) freeze up the other day and the only change I made to it was installing and running nagios-statd (v 3.11).  I dug into the log files and noticed the following being repeated every two minutes:
>
> Mar  6 04:23:40 localhost kernel: application bug: nagios-statd(21300) has SIGCHLD set to SIG_IGN but calls wait().
> Mar  6 04:23:40 localhost kernel: (see the NOTES section of 'man 2 wait'). Workaround activated.
>
> I'm also seeing this on a RH ES 3.0 box, but it hasn't froze up on me.
>
> I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure exactly what this means and some Google searches of this didn't help me out too much.  The only thing I found was that newer Red Hat kernels are more strict in the way they handle this "SIGCHLD" issue.  Has anyone else had this happen and if so, is there a workaround?  Many thanks!

>  Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site!

Demetri Mouratis
dmourati at linfactory.com