nagios-statd and SIGCHLD issue

Lee Kriebaum lee_kriebaum at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 03:50:16 CET 2005

I had a Linux box (RH 9) freeze up the other day and the only change I made to it was installing and running nagios-statd (v 3.11).  I dug into the log files and noticed the following being repeated every two minutes:

Mar  6 04:23:40 localhost kernel: application bug: nagios-statd(21300) has SIGCHLD set to SIG_IGN but calls wait().
Mar  6 04:23:40 localhost kernel: (see the NOTES section of 'man 2 wait'). Workaround activated.

I'm also seeing this on a RH ES 3.0 box, but it hasn't froze up on me.

I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure exactly what this means and some Google searches of this didn't help me out too much.  The only thing I found was that newer Red Hat kernels are more strict in the way they handle this "SIGCHLD" issue.  Has anyone else had this happen and if so, is there a workaround?  Many thanks!