Nagios Vs. Big Brother

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Mar 9 22:34:18 CET 2005

We are migrating some servers from BB to Nagios.  The main benefits of
Nagios are
1) Scheduled downtime
2) Reporting
3) Far better written and more hooks
4) Scales better (at 1568 services and rising)
5) Active/passive checks
6) Far fewer false positives due to schedules, dependencies, check times,
and hard/soft alerts.

When migrating BB->Nagios, I found it easy to set up BB-type passive
services in Nagios and then use the bb2nagios relay to accept BB alerts on
the Nagios server which were converted into Nagios passive alerts.  By using
a service freshness check that sets the status to 'unknown' after 10 min, I
can make Nagios behave almost exactly like a Big Brother server during the
changeover.

I am still working on a pure-C xinetd service for converting BB alerts to
Nagios, let me know if you want a copy of the development source.

Steve