Nagios and helpdesk integration

CWaters at jeld-wen.com CWaters at jeld-wen.com
Tue Mar 8 19:11:25 CET 2005

I have partial integration with my company's internal ticketing system.  I
did this with some procmail scripts and escalations.  We pretty much just
monitor our routers and switches so I don't monitor many services but rely
on host notifications.  When a host fails, I do an immediate escalation
which sends a single email to our ticketing system.  I use the escalation
feature so that I can keep the logic for opening a ticket separate from the
regular notifications and in this way, don't end up with a ticket for every
normal notification.  The email also contains some additional info about a
host pulled from our db when the email is generated.  Our ticketing system
then replies back via email to the nagios box saying that it opened a
ticket.  A procmail script then parses the info from the email and puts a
comment in for that host.  I can see a record of every ticket that was
opened for a given host for what ever period of time I decide to leave the
comments there.

More than that, I have some procmail scripts that will allow me to
acknowledge a host problem from email or a text message by sending a
specifically formated message.  This is nice if I am remote.  My alerts from
nagaios all do a db query before sending the notification.  This query
contains all the important info that might be required to open a third party
ticket (Like for a circuit outage).  Basically from a text enabled cell
phone I can manage about 80% of all outages through automation.

Hope this gives you some ideas on how to integrate nagios into your
helpdesk.

Chris Waters
WAN/LAN Technician
JELD-WEN, Inc.