nagios missing valid updates from nsca

Chris Hale chale at nwscan.net
Mon Mar 7 22:29:12 CET 2005

We are in the process of switching from full active checks, to mostly
passive checks.

I've so far converted 129 services checks for 19 hosts.

But I've already got concerns.  Occasionally all passive checks for any one
or more of the hosts we have switched, fails the freshness threshold.

I've set NC_Net client to send every 5 minutes, and set the freshness
threshold to 6 minutes.  I've confirmed that NSCA has received the results
by turning on debug and seeing the results show up in the syslog.  But
Nagios acts like it never got the result, and I see the freshness check
warnings in the Nagios event log.  I can't seem to find any pattern to the
missing checks, but when it does miss... it seems to miss all the checks
from that host all together.

12:11 - missed all 7 passive check from one host.
12:16 - missed all 7 passive checks from two separate hosts
12:21 - all 7 passive check from one host.
12:40 - all 7 passive check from one host.
12:41 - all 7 passive check from one host.

In all the above examples... each failure was a different host, and all were
found in syslog as NSCA received them fine.

Notables from the NSCA config file:
aggregrate_write=1  tried both... neither seem to affect it
append_to_file=0    the notes on this one, make me not want to mess with it
max_packet_age=240
   I hope that if this is the culprit, that it would warn you in the syslog

Notables from nagios.cfg file:
command_check_interval=-1

I not sure if anything else in the Nagios config is relevant to passive
check processing (with the exception of all the other settings that wouldn't
make passive checks work at all)

What should I check here folks?

p.s. note that the finished conversion should more than double the amount of
passive checks being processed every 5 minutes.  So if there is anything
else I should be looking out for, in regards to capacity.  Let me know.