host check critical, even though host came back up..?

Daniel maher dmaher at acetechnology.com
Mon Mar 7 15:37:46 CET 2005

Hi all,

I'm running Nagios 2.0b1 (I know, upgrade, blah) on Debian Woody (self-compiled, as the Debian package is still in 1.x), and I'm experiencing a bit of an annoying problem.  I had a server go down this weekend, and unfortunately, the two people who get notified about it were both indisposed.  The server came back up on its own a few hours later, but the Host Check (check_icmp) kept showing as critical.  So this morning when I got in to work, I had a few hundred critical host warnings for a server that was clearly operational.  After acknowledging the problem, then forcing a re-check manually, it game back green.

Any ideas why the Host Check kept failing, even though the server was up?

Daniel Maher

System Engineer

ACE TECHNOLOGY INC.

100, boul. Alexis-Nihon, suite 593