Error: Could not open CGI config file

Jared Logan seep at linuxmail.org
Sun Mar 6 23:09:04 CET 2005

Hi. I am new to Nagios. I read the guide before the install process. I have the web interface up and running and /usr/local/nagios seems to be just fine. I think I have done everything right but I am getting this error when I go to  http://127.0.0.1/nagios/

"Error: Could not open CGI config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/cgi.cfg' for reading!"
and I get this...
# Make sure you've installed a CGI config file in its proper location. See the error message about for details on where the CGI is expecting to find the configuration file. A sample CGI configuration file (named cgi.cfg) can be found in the sample-config/ subdirectory of the Nagios source code distribution.
# Make sure the user your web server is running as has permission to read the CGI config file.

My /usr/local/nagios/etc looks like this:
bigger.cfg-sample         htpasswd.users           nagios.cfg-sample    resource.cfg.in
cgi.cfg                   minimal.cfg-sample       nagios.cfg.in        template-object
cgi.cfg-sample            misccommands.cfg-sample  resource.cfg
checkcommands.cfg-sample  nagios.cfg               resource.cfg-sample

As for the user. I am using XAMPP which runs apache as "nobody". I am not sure what it runs as but I would assume as a regular user for the obvious reasons. I do not want it to run as anything esle for security reasons. I really have no idea what to do now. I may have missed something important along the way :S. I realize this is a bit unorganized but ANY suggestions you have are more than welcome. Please be detailed :)